Science Hall & Chemical
The first Medical School was called the "Attic Medical School" because classes were held in the attics of Science Hall
and the old Chemical Engineering Building. The two year medical curriculum was the basic sciences
and then students finished their education at other medical schools. Science Hall was built in 1875
and is still located at 550 N. Park St. but Chemical Engineering which was built in 1885
was torn down for the Helen C. White Building, located at 600 N. Park St.
Photo courtesy of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Archives